Château Noisy | Miranda Castle

This post is also available in: nlDutch

What is the Chateau of Miranda or Chateau Noisy?
The Château Noisy or Château Miranda is a Belgian castle which was built in 1866 in the Belgian region of the Ardennes. It was designed by the english architect Milner. It was built in neoghotic style. The castle had many purposes and was also known as Home of Noisy when it was an orphanage for children of Belgian railroad workers. The architect died when the castle was unfinished. Building the castle took a very long time. It was finished in 1907. It is a well known place for urban explorers. The castle is also known as Miranda Castle or Castle of Noisy.

The history of the castle
The castle was built in 1866 by the English architect Edward Milner under commission from a family named Liedekerke-De Beaufort, who had left their previous home, the near built Vêves Castle, during the French Revolution. However, the architect Milner died before the castle was finished. Construction was completed in 1907 after the clock tower was erected. Their descendants remained in occupation until World War II. A portion of the Battle of the Bulge took place on the property, and it was during that time that the castle was occupied by German army.
In 1950, the castle (Château) Miranda was renamed “Château de Noisy” when it was taken over by the National Railway Company of Belgium (NMBS/SNCB) as an orphanage and also a holiday camp for sickly children. It lasted as a children’s camp until the late 70s.

chateau_noisy_old.jpg

Today
The castle has stood empty and is completely abandoned since 1991 because the costs to maintain it were too high, and a search for investors in the property failed. Although the municipality of Celles has offered to take it over, the family has refused, and the enormous building is now (as of 2017) in a derelict state, succumbing to decay and vandalism. Parts of the structure were heavily damaged in a fire and many areas of the ceiling are falling down. Despite this, it has become a favorite venue of urban explorers. As of June 2016, the Château has been acquired and is now off-limits listed as ‘private property’. Demolition of the castle began in late October 2016 with the conical gothic roofs are being removed.

Update 22-11-2017: The castle is totally demolished. You can’t visit it.

 

[Total: 1    Average: 5/5]